Kind of funny, I
did as you said and found an article "Cisco's iPhone violates GPL, expert
says" -
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;435863114;fp;4194304;fpid;1

While Cisco is complaining about Apple using their
trademark on the Cisco iPhone, Cisco is in turn infringing on the
GPL....interesting.

Basically it is as I suspected, Cisco has found a great revenue stream. Get
the Linux geeks to write, update, manage,etc. the OS, and they can come in
and spend less time just modifying it than actually having to write their
own OS/IOS.

Now does the
GPL work like this. Since they are using the Linux OS, and modifying to suit

their specific needs, couldn't I take their own source code and use it for
my own? Meaning take the source for the ACNS units and release my own Linux
Application and Content networking distro so long as it does not contain
other license code such as Websense?
p.s. Of course this is all in theory, I don't know
a (#*@ thing about code, except for what I learned way back when on the
Radio Shack TSR-80

Sean Waite

Sean Waite