I'm having trouble connecting a Samba BDC to a Samba 3 PDC.
I attempted to join using the following commands:

net rpc join

net rpc join -S <PDC name> -Uroot

net rpc join bdc -S <PDC name> -Uroot

Each time I get an error report of some kind, usually:

"Create of workstation account failed
Unable to join domain <domain name>."

Or, more frequently:

"[2007/02/19 18:02:04, 0]
utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_newstyle(319)
  Error domain join verification (reused connection):
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

I check, and sure enough,there is a disabled machine account. Running
pdbedit -Lw <BDC name>\$ I find:

"<BDC name>$:504:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[DS         ]:LCT-00000000:"

I check the join with "net rpc testjoin" and confirm that that join did
not work:

"[2007/02/19 20:44:05, 0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_ok(66)
Join to domain '<domain name>' is not valid"

In addition to running net commands from the BDC, I have also attempted
to edit the account database on the PDC with pdbedit. I have tried to
create account entries with several different flag types. Here's an
example:

"pdbedit -a -m -u <BDC name> -c "[W]""

or

"pdbedit -a -m -u <BDC name> -c "[S]""

These commands fail:

"[root at massive samba]# pdbedit -a -m -u <BDC name> -c "S"
tdb_update_sam: SAM_ACCOUNT (BDC name) with no RID!
Unable to add machine! (does it already exist?)"

No, it does not exist, as I confirmed with: "pdbedit -Lw <BDC name>\$",
which reports that no such machine account exists. I also checked with
"pdbedit -L" and checked for the BDC name in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

The smb.conf files on both the BDC and PDC probably are correct. I was
able to reproduce these errors using BDC and PDC config files copied
directly from "Samba 3 By Example"

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

John Reese