To get Windows to see your files, I like to use Samba.  Most people find
Samba intimidating to set up, and it can be.  The documentation for it is
massive.  However, I find this page extremely useful and a very quick way to
get Samba going on your Linux end:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html

After you set this up, you should see your linux files (in the directories
that you shared) in your "My Network Places"

For linux to see your files on Windows, you need to enable file sharing, and
the instructions for that vary a bit depending on the version of Windows you
are using.  Search your help file in Windows.  Then on the linux side, then
it depends if you are using KDE, Gnome, etc. as to what you do to see the
windows network.  In KDE and Gnome, you can browse your network similar to
My Network Places, and should see your Windows machine there.

I only use WORKGROUP networking, so if you are using DOMAINS and such, I
don't know how much of a help this is.

- Joey