Are you using it as a USB modem?  I too used to have one of these modems,
and it worked with linux fine for me over ethernet.  I never tried it as a
USB modem.  I did find it generally deficient, and have various networking
problems (outbound ssh sucked, wireless sucked) that all went away when I
replaced it with a Zoom DSL modem/wireless router.

leif