  From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Joey Rockhold
  Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:33 AM
  To: Tom Marble
  Cc: TCLUG
  Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Ubuntu video annoyance

  The first suggestion, clicking on the default checkbox in screen
resolution, did not help.  I haven't tried the second method yet.

  - Joey

  On 2/3/07, Tom Marble <tmarble at info9.net> wrote:
    Joey Rockhold wrote:
    > I am running 2 Ubuntu machines.  I have them both hooked to a KVM
    > switch.  When I boot either of them up, and I do not have the KVM
set to
    > those particular machines, they boot up in 640x480 mode (or
800x600).
    > Yet if the KVM switch is on those computers while they boot, I get
my
    > full 1280x1024 resolution.  Can anyone direct me to how to lock
down the
    > resolution I want?

    On my feisty (pre-release) system one can change change the default
resolution
    in the Gnome menu: System | Control Center, then click on "Screen
Resolution"
    and select the default.

    The "old school" (and perhaps simpler) way to do this is by editing
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf (save the current version first!).

    You will find a section like this:

    Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            Device          "Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated
Graphics Controller"
            Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
            DefaultDepth    24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Depth           24
                    Modes           "1680x1050" "1400x1050" "1280x1024"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection

    For each instance of the line "Modes" insure that you have only the
    resolution(s) that you want.

    HTH,

    --Tom