On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 05:04:16PM -0600, Mark Browne wrote:
> This is not very Linux related, but the readers of this list tend to
> full-fledged Internet plumbing Gurus, and I think that is who I need to ask
> so here goes ...
>
> One of my e-mail account is bing used as a "from" address for penny stock
> spam and I am getting 500 to 1000 bounces a day on this account.
> My spam filter catches most to the traffic but I am getting tired of dealing
> with the mess.
>
> Is there a way to find out who is spraying this crud and get back to them?

Ha!  Double-dog-bounce-back!

Only if the site that sends you the backscatter is careful enough to
include the complete headers of the message they received.  And even
then, the perpetrator might have dissapeared from the web by the time
you try going after them.  Also, much of the 'backscatter' is in fact
cloaked spam.

The thing that most drastically reduces the spam nowadays is rejecting
connections from servers that lack reverse DNS records or whose greeting
does not match their address, followed by gr[ae]ylisting.  But if you
don't have control over the mail server then you need to resign to
filtering what you can and deleting what you can't.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163