On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 04:01:47PM -0600, Jay Austad wrote:
> I just picked up a Viewsat VSPRO satellite receiver.  It has PVR
> functionality which records shows to a USB connected hard drive.  I want to
> get this data on my fileserver without having to physically move the drive
> to another machine and copy the files.
>
> So, here's my idea...  I have a little embedded network device that runs
> linux.  It has a USB port on it.  I want it to act as a USB drive for the
> VSPRO, and then it would mount my fileserver over the network, and anything
> copied to it over USB would shoot over the network to my fileserver.
> Basically, I want to build a USB->network bridge for a device that does not
> support networking.  Is this possible?  Does someone make a commercial
> product that does this?

Check out the NGW100: it can act as an USB device and comes with
emulations for mass storage, network and serial profiles.

   http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4102

It costs about $80 (and you need to add a power brick).

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163