This has always worked - from the most formal of distributions to Linux From
Scratch.  If the libraries are available and similar enough, it works fine.
Major software packages (such as Matlab) go the extra mile and ship their own
libraries with their product so that it can be used on practically any Linux
system.  You could go as far as shipping your own libc with your product if
you wanted.

-Dave