On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Samir M. Nassar wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 December 2007, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that there are several package management tools and that
>> different Linux distros use different tools.  I assume that several
>> Linux distros are in compliance with the LSB (for locations of
>> libraries and such).  Why can't all package management tools from such
>> distros be interchangeable?  What is the source of incompatibility, if
>> there is any?
>
> This is a philosophical question and the answer is philosophical.

I doubt it.

> The simple answer is that different distros have different reasons for
> being.

But are they compatible?

> A more complex answer would be that it is hard to make community distros
> like debian and gentoo have the same priorities as Fedora or Ubuntu or
> openSUSE. For one, you can't just pay a software engineer to make a
> package management tool that can work with all packages. You can, but
> your money won't be well-spent.

Why can't I use four different package systems on the same installation of
one distro?  The reason isn't philosophical -- there is either a technical
reason why I can't do it, or I can do it.  The distro might come with only
one package management program, but they are all freely available so I
ought to be able to compile them all and use them all, if I want to.

Mike