I usta do math by rubbing two sticks together, but migrated to a digital
computer (abacus) when that became the rage....

I got a nice IR-coupled folding keyboard real cheap off ebay.  I think it's
spec'd to work with more than just smartphones and PDAs.  Mine is only IR
coupled, but others connect by wire.

I'm sure I'd quickly want to try typing with a railroad spike as stylus and
mallet to drive it in if I had to depend on such a thing for my "typing".
Many phones and services offer voice-to-text.  Perhaps that would preserve
the pocketable convenience and minimize the nuisance.

Chuck