Just thought I'd mention why I care about such things.  As a fairly
high-end kind of user and one who sometimes oversees development projects,
I want to be in touch with trends and I want to be using a system that is
reasonably popular, future-oriented and that works well.  Right now it
looks to me like Linux is the best OS for me to be working on (I used to
work mostly on Solaris).  What will the future bring?  I'm not sure, so I
try to keep my eyes on the horizon in case something important is coming
along.

The user experience is determined mostly by the programs the user is
using, including the shell, and this can be moved from one UNIXy OS to
another.  I think bash and GNU utils are the way to go right now.  They
work well and are widely used (by contrast Solaris has had a few really
buggy or inefficient utils).  I used tcsh for years but am switching to
bash because, while only slightly better overall (I think), it is becoming
more widely used that tcsh.  Unless I'm missing something, kernel features
don't seem to have a great impact on user experience, but it is essential
that the kernel is stable and doesn't crash.

Until FreeBSD is giving me something that I really care about that Linux
can't give me, I'm not going to move away from Linux.  Why would I?
Today I'm not seeing a reason to study FreeBSD further.  Maybe that will
change someday.

Mike