Hi Anna:

I've been compiling the same kernel for my laptop 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 /
as far as a network manager, (please excuse my ignorance) I am not
aware of the kernel having a built-in network manager?!?!

I know, you can build in the network (hardware) drivers and have a
small dhcp client compiled with your floppy image, but not directly
into the kernels, not that am I am aware of?

David A