On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Chris Schumann wrote:

> Mike Miller said:
>
>> Does "network install" imply that no hard drive is needed on the local
>> machine?
>
> Nope. It means get the packages from the network instead of a local
> source such as floppy(!), CD, memory card, etc.

Thanks.  I get it -- it's for when you have no CD drive.

There are systems that can boot from a network with no HDD on the local
machine, right?  I think Sun's computers had a system for that set up in
the EEPROM.  That might be an interesting thing to get into for the future
when we have loads of wireless network bandwidth widely distributed and
little low-energy devices.  But maybe there's no need because the price of
flash memory is coming down very fast right now.

Mike