On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Chris Schumann wrote:
> Andrew Zbikowski said:
>> One more idea...
>>
>> Debian still has a floppy based netboot. You need 5 floppies to get up
>> and running, and then it's all network based.
>
> That's sort of my next plan. There's a web site [1] that has made a set of
> Fedora install floppies, which would work on my machine except that Fedora
> doesn't work on any 486 any more. (The older versions might work, but
> upgrading would not be fun.)

  The only hard dependencies Fedora 8 has on i586+ processors (i.e.,
Pentium Pro and up) are the kernel, and apparently the IcedTea Java stack.
If you rebuilt the kernel as i386/i486, it might work.  Might. :-)
  That said, the most pitiful machine I currently have running Fedora
regularly is a Pentium 150 with 40mb of RAM.  Let's just say I'm not
running a GUI on it.  (There's also that P75 I managed to get running,
but that was more to scare people via Smolt than anything.)

      Jima