On Dec 7, 2007 12:10 PM, Dan Rue <drue at therub.org> wrote:

> Sorry, John.  I meant "lets" as in the community of smart people that
> create and use these things, not you personally.

No apology needed--I think you and I are on the same page about this.

A couple of thoughts come to mind from the "billion-second timeout" with
AOLserver:

- Having a timeout of anything more than about an hour is silly.  Is anyone
really going to wait that long?
- Any server worth its salt would let you set a flag (e.g. timeout of -1) to
indicate no timeout
- Again they're not using time_t to refer to specific system events, but
instead some hypothetical ((very!) distant) future event
- Software should be developed with an eye on its boundary conditions, e.g.
"I am using a 16-bit int for this field, so we had better not have more than
about 65,000 different planes in the air...".
- Recurring issues like this make me think that some sort of software
engineer certification might be a good idea.  Or maybe bringing back the
pillory.