I find this conversation very interesting, but here is another perspective
to think about.

2038 is 30 years away.  Will you be using the same type of computer in 30
years?  No, I'm guessing not.  Think of what computers were 30 years ago.
Will you be using software after 30 years?  I don't think so, it won't run
on your new operating systems, because so much will have changed.  It's
possible you will use the same software, but it will be a much later / fixed
version.  What about data stored in databases?  I'm guessing date/time
fields will be converted as needed.

So, for future use, I do not see any problems.  We could be computing on
65536 bit processors by then, who knows.

So the remaining issue for today is that of future calculations, or in some
cases, calculating backwards to the past.  If this were a real serious
issue, there would be effort being put in to it now.  Where I work today, we
use a product that will not store a null date.  If you leave a date blank,
it stores it as 1/1/3000.  Obviously an arbitrary date, but it shows that
our vendor is not having trouble storing this date in our current DB2
database.  I don't know if our database is 64-bit or not, but I do know the
product itself is only 32-bit.

So, in a nutshell, the point of all this is that I am not seeing an issue
that needs a lot of attention.  But that is my 2 cents.

- Joey