On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 06:03:05PM -0600, Chuck Cole wrote:
> I think this a seriously wrong solution.  Anyone concerned with the real
> world and embedded machines, etc, finds the 32-bit architecture adequate for
> data representation, qualtitatively more reliable (fewer things to go
> wrong), lower cost, and much lower power.  In the great majority of storage
> and processing words, the integers and double precision math leave 32 bits
> per memory location unused.  That space is opportunity for error and power
> consumption that does nothing for the main and critical application of such
> systems and networks.  For Linux folk to make a decision that limits the use
> of Linux in 32-bit architectures for critical embedded applications seems
> mighty dumb to me.  Not all Linux hosts are like gaming machines where it
> simply does not matter, and 64 bits makes a better game.  To me, this
> indicates profound ignorance and/or oblivion by those programmers

Chuck,

It's not the 'Linux folk'.  It's coreutils which is a GNU package.

BTW:
florin at athena$ touch 20401120 history
florin at athena$ ls -l history
-rw-r--r--   1 florin   other          0 Sep  9  2008 history
florin at athena$ uname -a
SunOS athena 5.10 Generic_118855-33 i86pc i386 i86pc

I suspect the embedded system will do fine in 2039 and beyond.  Many
of them are 8 or 16 bits, and still manage to do the required time
calculations.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163