On 12/6/07, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Andrew Zbikowski wrote:
>
> > For what you're looking for I'd go with the desktop CD. You'll have the
> > GNOME, Firefox, etc. available while you're setting up your LAMP
> > environment . Could be handy to find documentation.
>
> That's a good point.  Thanks.
>
> Sounds like you think taksel is a good option, but has anyone on this list
> actually done a LAMP install using taksel?  Does it really take less than
> 15 minutes to get it working?

I guess I don't really understand this part of the quote from above:
"The LAMP option means you don't have to install and integrate each of
the four separate LAMP components, a process which can take hours"

It seems to me that using apt-get to install each component does all
the integration for you and is a painless and quick process. Maybe I'm
missing something. Is there some extra configuration that this process
does such as hardening the security of the  installation, automatic
pear package installs, etc?

If this technique does a bunch of extra configuration that can "take
hours" to complete, maybe it's not such a good idea without fully
understanding what it's doing.

Mike, if you take the taksel road, let us know if you noticing
anything different. I'm too busy (lazy) to investigate.

Eric