The packages for Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Desktop use the same
repository, thus the packages have the same installation scripts and
default configurations. tasksel is handy for quickly installing your
LAMP environment on a Ubuntu Desktop installer, or for installing your
GNOME/KDE/XFCE environment on a server install. You can also pick and
choose the packages you want using apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic.

The server installation CD is a smaller ISO. I don't recall offhand
what it doesn't have on the CD, most likely X11, GNOME, OpenOffice.
The Desktop CD is a larger image that has the extras for the desktop
environment . Once I have Ubuntu installed I don't use the CD, only
the Ubuntu package repositories.

There is also the Alternative installation CD, which is useful for
special case installations, like if you want a Desktop installation
but want the text based installer.

For what you're looking for I'd go with the desktop CD. You'll have
the GNOME, Firefox, etc. available while you're setting up your LAMP
environment . Could be handy to find documentation.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue >0;