On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Jeremy wrote:

> There might be a difference in the installers.  I think the server
> version may not have X by default, so the install is text mode.
>
> http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-lamp-server-installation-with-screenshots.html

That's what I've heard too.  So far two people have recommended installing
the desktop version and then using apt-get or somesuch to grab mysql,
apache, php and install them.  My concern is that Ubuntu Server has some
special code for integrating and configuring those components that I won't
get if I use apt-get.  From their web page:

     http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/serveredition

     In around 15 minutes, the time it takes to install Ubuntu Server
     Edition, you can have a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) server up
     and ready to go. This feature, exclusive to Ubuntu Server Edition, is
     available at the time of installation.

     The LAMP option means you don't have to install and integrate each of
     the four separate LAMP components, a process which can take hours and
     requires someone who is skilled in the installation and configuration
     of the individual applications. Instead, you get increased security,
     reduced time-to-install, and reduced risk of misconfiguration, all of
     which results in a lower cost of ownership.

Maybe there is a way to run the Ubuntu Server installation after running
the Ubuntu Desktop installation and then just install the LAMP components.

Mike