On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Florin Iucha wrote:

> Tell the U admins to install a more modern Linux distro.  And get 32
> more bits and sprinkle them above the CPU - it works wonders 8^) Just
> make sure they don't fall onto the motherboard, as they might short
> something...

I always knew there was a 2^31 limitation in 32-bit OS's but I thought
that was an issue of memory addressing and file sizes.  Now I see that
some 32-bit programs are limited to using 2^32 seconds from 1970 to 2038.
I hadn't heard before that this was not a problem for 64-bit machines.  I
tried the date code on an Altix machine and Netfinity (two MSI
supercomputers) and sure enough, the 64-bit Altix had no problem and the
32-bit Netfinity couldn't deal with 2038.

Are you saying that newer 32-bit Linux distros have a new version of
'date' that can deal with 2038?

Mike