On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Andrew Zbikowski wrote:

> I use gmail to collect all my mailing lists. Why reinvent the wheel? :-)

I have been using Pine for a long time on a Solaris box.  My next step
will be to fully drop Solaris, finally, and get everything on Linux.  At
some time I'll want to drop Pine too.  Stallman told me to use Emacs for
email (what would you expect from him?!) and I just might try that.

Meanwhile, I also do something that you are doing:  Everything coming into
my Solaris box gets forwarded straight to Gmail before any spam filtering.
All outgoing messages are Bcc'd to Gmail.  So I have that nice backup on
Gmail and it has great spam filtering, is very fast, and it is also very
fast on searches.  Gmail lacks some important flexibility in searches
though.  For example, you can't search for terms in the header nor can you
filter based on header strings.  So if someone bcc's a message to a mail
list, Gmail won't filter it correctly.  You could do it correctly if Gmail
allowed you to deal with header strings such as this one:

For me, the main reason for current interest is that I have 12 years of
email postings from a scientific society listserv that need to be archived
and made avaialble to members.  I can't do that on Gmail, sadly, so I'll
have to use something else.

Mike