On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 01:56:38AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:

> Ever try "grepmail"?  It's great for mbox files:
>
> http://grepmail.sourceforge.net/
>
> Still falls way short for many uses.  Simple example:  Suppose you are
> searching for "Mike Jones" and your message happens to look like this:
>
> You really ought to talk to Mike
> Jones about that issue.
>
> Well, with Mike and Jones on two different lines, it won't match.  We need
> something that allows us to handle the newline appropriately.

Well grepmail can do perl regexps, so you could do:
 grepmail -E '$email =~ /Mike Jones/s' /var/spool/mail/user

This would match your example.  The . with the s modifier at the
end will match newlines.  Of course you have to remember to use .
instead of space in your search expressions.  Maybe you could
write wrapper to grepmail or use gtkgrepmail (though I haven't
used that).

Anyway, I am not sure that grepmail really meets your needs, but
it can deal with newlines.