Hey everybody, I just wanted to announce that we have recently started a
LoCo (local community) team for users of the Ubuntu distribution.  In
case you aren't familiar with the idea, a LoCo is somewhat similar to a
LUG, but with a few key differences:
    * It focuses on a particular distribution only (in this case,
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu)
    * There is often more focus on localization, as it's easier to get
average users involved in developing things like artwork for a
distribution than larger things like the Linux kernel itself
    * Within the United States, we are organized on a state-wide level,
rather than by city

I've heard of some issues arising with other LoCos/LUGs stemming from
silly misunderstandings at the outset, so I want to clarify right away
that "LoCos <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCos> are not meant to replace
existing LUGS, but instead to complement them" (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoWorkingWithOtherGroups).  We would
appreciate having members of existing LUGs who use or are interested in
Ubuntu joining our LoCo, and will be strongly encouraging our members to
be involved in local LUGs where applicable.  Additionally, I am not sure
if there are local teams for any other distributions in the area (or
something like it), but if you are aware of any we would be interested
in a level of collaboration where appropriate with them as well, likely
organized through the umbrella organization of LUGs on the city level
(not sure on state), so let me know if you are part of one.

We do have a wiki page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MinnesotaTeam, which
will be used for the following:
    * Maintaining a more detailed list of member information separate
from the official roster on Launchpad (see below) - I would encourage
you to list yourself here as well, so we have a better handle on who
people are.  It's also a very good idea to make a corresponding personal
wiki page, especially if you are going to get more involved with Ubuntu
in the future (see mine for an example)
    * Eventually morph into a web site of sorts, to be linked to a
domain name later
    * Keep a calendar of events
    * List goals, plans, brainstorms, etc. for possible activities of
the team
    * Well, it's a wiki, so if you have other things to add, go for it
Please take a look at this if you're want to know more of what we're all
about and what we may be thinking about doing as a team.

The team's official membership roster and tracking of contributions is
handled on Launchpad, at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-minnesota.
Joining the team at this time requires creating a Launchpad account
(which you will also need to edit the wiki).  There are plans for
eventual OpenID support, but no timeline on that yet.  Membership
doesn't mean anything more than "I reside in Minnesota and like Ubuntu,
and thought this would be cool to be a part of".  I will technically
speaking have to "approve" you, but this is just a formality to keep
track of things - don't feel like you need to meet some lengthy set of
requirements to apply.  Making your e-mail address visible here is
optional, but I'd suggest you do, so that I have a way to contact you if
necessary for administrative stuff.

Finally, we have three major communication media set up for general
interaction with the team, event planning, technical support, etc.
These are:
    * Forum: http://minnesota.ubuntuforums.org/
    * IRC: #ubuntu-minnesota on Freenode

You probably know the drill with how all of that works.  For the few
folks who may be less familiar with the IRC medium, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat.

Well, that was a bit of a novel, but I think I got all of the important
information covered!  I am subscribed to all three of these LUG lists,
so if you have any questions you can reply to me on-list or off.  Hope
to see any Ubuntu users (or the Ubuntu-curious) around!

- Tony Yarusso
Ubuntu Minnesota LoCo Team Contact