admin at lctn.org wrote:
> I am waiting for a response from Linksys on this, but not sure I will get
> one. Anyone know if it is a violation of any copy write, or other laws to
> modify the hardware, replace the software, and case, on used Linksys
> routers, and resell them as a different product?

I can't imagine any copyright problems and if you remove Linksys from
the box there shouldn't be any trademark issues either. As long as you
bought the unit from Linksys/Cisco the first-sale doctrine
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#The_first-sale_doctrine_and_exhaustion_of_rights)
should apply.

On the other hand, depending on what mods you make to the hardware, you
may need to deal with getting the appropriate paperwork through the FCC.

As usual, if you're really concerned you should find a real lawyer
rather than relying on a mailing list.

--rick