Maybe this is just my crappy SATA controllers then because I tried to just
change the Promise controller to IDE and I'm getting the same errors.  Only
seems to boot when that controller is not enabled.

It's still reading that drive because it attempts to boot from it.  Would
the order the BIOS sees the drives in matter?  I'm thinking that maybe by
tossing the other controller in the mix now my 120GB drive is SDD instead of
SDA?

--
Donovan Niesen