Sean Waite wrote:
> I would recommend  FreeNAS as well, been using it for quite some time and
> have been very pleased with  it. It does everything I ask and more. Nice
> thing about it is, similar to m0n0wall from which it is a fork, you can
> simply back up the configuration. In the event a re-install is necessary,
> there really is no worries. I have swapped drives out before out of two
> FreeNAS machines, installed, and restored settings in a matter of minutes.
> Another nice aspect is it requires hardly any disk space, so for the OS you
> can use basically any old hard drive, and then add in the larger file share
> drives. In fact this is what got me into FreeNAS, I was looking to use a
> bunch of old hardware to make a storage share for disk based backups.Sean
> Waite

Nice to see you guys aren't completely dead-set against using BSD for
stuffs, but I feel the need to toss in a word of warning. (and this is
coming from someone who works on FBSD professionally and has been
contributing to it for well over a decade)

UFS2 is a really nice filesystem, I've had better luck with it in
terms of stability and reliability than ext3 over the years, but it
does have one disadvantage that really hurts when it comes to large
filesystems.  It's not journelled.  This means on a bad shutdown you
have to fsck, and while that happens in the background it tanks I/O
while it runs.  The other problem you are going to run in to is the
amount of RAM it takes to run an fsck on large filesystems.  Expect to
need a gig per TB to be able to successfully fsck if there's a
shutdown during heavy concurrent I/O.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel