On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Chuck Cole wrote:

> For those who think USB might be fast, it's worth pointing out that USB
> is serial and has a protocol overhead as well.  IDE has transaction
> overhead also (quite visible when buffer depth is exceeded).  The
> fastest IDE is parallel and 3x faster than USB 2.0, ignoring protocols.
> The oldest and slowest IDE is roughly the same as USB 2.0, however.
> Ignoring overheads, USB 2.0 has a max of 480Mhz while SATA is 1.5GHz.
> The real difference will have USB much slower than 1/3 the speed of
> SATA.  For a conversion to work at near the maximum speed, the
> interfaces must be appreciably faster so the overhead is masked.
>
> USB is plenty fast enough for keyboards, mice, printers and modems, but
> not much else.  It's very convenient, commonly found, robust, and
> inexpensive, so "good enough" for many uses.

I didn't test it on a Linux box, but I bought a Western Digital MyBook
Premium II 1TB external HDD last week.  (It seemed nice at first but then
it reported a corrupt drive.)  I did some testing before it failed and
compared performance of USB 2.0 with Firewire 400 on an XP x64 box,
writing to the external HDD only:

I wrote 8.734 billion bytes (1,757 files in 128 folders) via Firewire in 9
minutes 46 seconds which is 119 Mbps.  It took about 2 seconds to delete
them.  Then I repeated the same file transfer via USB 2.0 and it took 9
minutes 4 seconds which is 128 Mbps.

At first I thought this meant I should stick with USB because it happens
to be easier to reach the USB port on my PC (and it was trivially faster
than Firewire on that box), but now I think I should probably use
Firewire, assuming you all are correct about the CPU overhead problem.
That would be important.

Mike