As far as Linux ands XP cohabiting on the same disk, I have been doing just that for about 6 or 7 years. There's really no trick involved, it's a matter of following a procedure thart delivers what you want.

Here's my working model, a simple one hard-drive configuration:

Make sure the drive is bight enough. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 60 Gigabytes, preferably more.

The first thing you should do is decide how to partition up the disk. The following scheme I have used is based on the ideas that (1) There will be one partition for Windows, and roughly 3 for a simple home desktop Linux installation, and (2) the bootloader "grub" is going to be used every time the machine powers up. Grub comes with Redhat/Fedora. It is the first post-BIOS.program to run. In Nick's case, grub will easily boot ether Linux or Windows XP with no trouble. I'm sure there are other bootloaders out there, but grub is the one I know.

First, you will partition the disk. In this sample partition scheme I am using a 100 Gighabyte disk as an example.

Partitions:
1. Linux "/boot" - roughky 128 Megabytes.
2. An NTFS partition reserved for Windows XP. Size depends on on needs, I would use about 40% of the disk, so let's say it will be 40 Gigabytes.
3.  A "Swap" partition for Linux. (1.5 top two times the amount of physical memory (RAM) in the machine. If your system has 512 Megabytes of RAM, you'd want to make this about 768 Megabytes.
4. The remainder of the disk, perhaps something like 58 Gigabytes should be allocated for the Linux root partition "/".

Frankly, now that your disk are partitioned, it doesn't matter whether Windows or Linux gets installed first. I tend to do Linux first, for the reason that that has been my main desktop OS for years.

Any Linux distro will have a graphical utility in which you explicitly tell the setup program what partitions it is supposed to use for what purpose. The setup program will format the Linux partitions, "/boot", "/" and the swap partition.

Continue installing Linux until it is done.Fedora core (for example) sets up the grub loader  that you can choose either system.

OK, Linux is good to go, now set up Windows XP. Surprisingly enough, Windows will live quite happily on the second partition, as my scheme places it. This will be obvious when you startup your computer with the XP setup disk.

Now, setup Windows X.P. Here's the catch: It is true that the Windows setup program will nuke your MBR, where Linux installs the grub boot loader by default. This is easy to overcome.

Here's what I do. I put in my Fedora Core Linux installation DVD and choose to boot into "Rescue Mode". It is easy to "chroot" top your linux installation from this. The Fedora setup program tells you - it is really simple.

Then, as soon as you Linux filesystem is "root", to reinstall grub you do this:

# grub

grub> root (hd0,0)        [ This io grub slang for the first
                                    disk, first partition: we made
                                    that the "/boot" partition.]

grub> setup (hd0)

And that's all there is too it. You know have a dual-boot, heterogeneous system.

Good luck,

Baz
Bryan A. Zimmer

4.