On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 14:57 -0500, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> [...]
> I'm getting a nice shiny (but
> basic) new system from General Nanosystems and I'm hoping that I can
> basically swap in the existing system's hard drive, boot into
> console, reconfigure xorg (new video card) and go.  Has anyone done
> something like this and lived to tell about it?  One problem I
> could see is making sure to use the same IDE channel so the drives
> don't get different names.  Any other snags Ishould be aware of?

You might run into a situation where the Ethernet chipset isn't
supported.  You'll probably want to do a quick web search on the
motherboard you're getting to make sure that works alright.

The type of sound device may also change, so you'll want to check
whether it still works after the swap.  This isn't a critical item,
though, so I'd probably deal with that last if there were problems.

Have PS/2 ports been disappearing lately?  If you're transitioning from
a PS/2 keyboard to a USB one, some issues may pop up there.

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>