From: Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net>

To: "John T. Hoffoss" <john.t.hoffoss at gmail.com>

Cc: "tclug-list at mn-linux.org" <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:06:39 -0500

Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Comcast blocking port25

wrote:

> > On 4/3/07, Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:

> > > Has anyone else run across this?  As of today I'm no
longer able to send

> > > mail through my mailserver (mtu.net) port 25 as comcast is
blocking all

> > > outgoing connections on port 25 for "my protection".

> > This is a fairly common practice to prevent you from using mail

> > servers that are not their own. One easy solution is to setup your

MTA

> > to listen on another port (I've used 2525) or to send via SSL/TLS
as

> > they never think to block 465.

> Well, he said outgoing. The "proper" way to do this is to configure

> your MTA to relay your mail to your comcast SMTP server, and

> everything will work just great. You can still use SSL/TLS, but that

> only fixes stuff for incoming. And IIRC, Comcast shouldn't block

> 25/tcp into your server, so it should not interfere with receiving
(or

> sending from outside your LAN).

I think that's what got me into trouble in the first place as comcast

was seeing a lot of mail traffic going through their server because I'm

the backup MX for mtu.net.  They are blocking all traffic both to
and

from port 25 on my machine.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe [http://mtu.net/%7Ejpschewe]

Help Jen and I fight cancer by donating to the Leukemia & Lymphomia

Society

Here's our website: http://www.active.com/donate/tntmn/tntmnJSchewe
[http://www.active.com/donate/tntmn/tntmnJSchewe]

If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

signature.

See http://www.gnupg.org [http://www.gnupg.org/]
for more information.