What I did was take what I was making as a full time developer, add in 7.5% for the self employment taxes, Another 6% for vacation/sick and then a fixed monthly charge for insurance, etc if you need to.  Then split this all up to an hourly charge.

 Remember that there is always down time between contracts, so short term contracts need to charge more for the between the gaps overhead.

 I was charging $72/hr for short term and $60 long term YMMV.

At one point I was working for a contract house (at $30/hr + benefits) and I later found out the contract house was charging the client $75/hr.  They were making a VERY nice profit on my labor.

Dave Dash <dave.dash at gmail.com> wrote: I've seen people charge anywhere from $25-100/hr for various computer related consulting.  Unfortunately nobody likes to share how much they charge as it tends to be a not for public consumption.

If I weren't already doing some consulting (albeit on the side), I'd pick a number between $25-100 that is more than what I'd be making at a similar full time or even contract gig (and you can call recruiters to find those out).  Then just keep to that.  But really the rate doesn't matter so much as the quality of service.... of course, I'm not the small business owner cutting you the check, so what do I know.

-d

On 4/3/07, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote: Guys,

What are some good resources on consulting rates?  I'm talking to a
small business owner about Linux support and consulting for their shop.
Mainly remote troubleshooting, with bulk work during weekends, if
need be.

Thanks,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

Dave Dash
612.670.0621
Discover your favorite restaurant: reviewsby.us