And there are some MTA's (the startrib.com one for instance) that refuse to accept mail from ISP client addresses.  The solution is to send the mail to the ISP's mailserver and let it route it.

I'm not defending the practice (either blocking or refusing ISP client connections), just listing a workaround.

"Brian D. Ropers-Huilman" <brian at ropers-huilman.net> wrote: On 4/3/07, Jon Schewe  wrote:
> Has anyone else run across this?  As of today I'm no longer able to send
> mail through my mailserver (mtu.net) port 25 as comcast is blocking all
> outgoing connections on port 25 for "my protection".

This is a fairly common practice to prevent you from using mail
servers that are not their own. One easy solution is to setup your MTA
to listen on another port (I've used 2525) or to send via SSL/TLS as
they never think to block 465.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman, Director
Systems Administration and Technical Operations

599 Walter Library                                   +1 612-626-5948 (V)
117 Pleasant Street S.E.                             +1 612-624-8861 (F)
University of Minnesota                               Twin Cities Campus
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0255                       http://www.msi.umn.edu/