On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 12:58:13PM -0500, Dan Drake wrote:
> It seemed like a memory problem, but I ran memtest86 overnight (about 40
> passes total) and it showed no errors. So it seems like a kernel bug, or
> a problem with the motherboard. Any suggestions on how to track down the
> problem?

> Suggestions for how to track down the problem? Thanks.

First thing I would try is to run a few kernel compilations, with a
high number of processes.  Just untar a recent kernel, then

   make allyesconfig

   MAKE='make -j 4' make bzImage

(this is all from memory, but it should be close)

This should put some serious stress on the CPU, northbridge and
memory.

If that passes, I suggest doing some md5sums of iso files in parallel
with the compilation.

Also try with only one stick of memory at a time, or even with
different memory altogether.

Is it possible to add a serial console to the machine? That will allow
you to capture a bad oops.

Good luck and let us know what you find,
florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra