On 9/30/06, Dan Drake <dan at dandrake.org> wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu and for some time now, I've had a big problem with it
> locking up. The machine simply won't run for more than 8-10 hours
> without locking up. It just freezes, completely, and there's nothing in
> the logs to suggest what went wrong.
>
> Sometimes it locks up after a little while, sometimes it goes all day.
> This has been happening since summer and all this month, so heat is not
> a problem.
>
> It seemed like a memory problem, but I ran memtest86 overnight (about 40
> passes total) and it showed no errors. So it seems like a kernel bug, or
> a problem with the motherboard. Any suggestions on how to track down the
> problem?
>
> I upgraded to Edgy Eft, since that has a new kernel, but an hour
> after getting that going, it locked up just like before.
>
> This is very irritating. I use a Windows machine sometimes at work and
> it's very depressing to see it run continuously for a week or more with
> no problems while my Linux box crashes about once a day!
>
> Here's some specs:
>
>   MSI KM3M-V motherboard
>   Sempron 1.75GHz cpu
>   2 512MB sticks of Crucial RAM
>
> Suggestions for how to track down the problem? Thanks.
>
> Dan

random lockups generally signify some sort of hardware problem. more
specifically i'd say, check the temperature on your hardware. Is the
fan on the video card running? is the processor fan plugged up with
pubes?

Also, are you using closed-source video card drivers? Try to switch to
the open-source version of the drivers (which tend to be slower, but
more stable)