In general, you probably won't need to use mknod, it's used to make device
special files if they do not already exist, and chances are that /dev/sd[a-h]
[0-9] or so already exist. All you will need to do is mount the devices.

After plugging in say a USB memory stick (assume it's the only usb storage
device and the only "scsi" device"), at the command line you would use:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
Where /dev/sda1 is the first partition of the first scsi device (your memory
stick here), and /mnt/usb is where in the filesystem you want the device to
be mounted.

Automout is a bit trickier, but in essence you will need to add a line similar
to /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1	/mnt/usb	auto defaults	0 0

Then you will need to configure your choice of automount daemons to
automatically mount the appropriate usb device when it is made available.

This might help you: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Flash-Memory-HOWTO/

Cheers,
~J