On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 03:06:42PM -0500, Matthew Xavier wrote:
> > Typically, there's a little red switch on the power supply just below
> > the outlet that you flip from one side to the other.  Most power
> > supplies support both 120 and 220.
>
> The power supplies themselves are autoranging and exhibit no switches
> of any kind.  In fact, when I plugged them in, they indicated they
> were ready.  From the behavior I observed and from reading the public
> documentation, my impression is that the server's power management
> checks the power supplies' status before allowing the machine to turn
> on, and a jumper has to be set to tell it to expect a 100-130V input
> reading rather than a 200-240V reading.

Wow! Do they have GUI driven fuses as well?

   Oh sir, it seems that you have a short in the power supply. Do you
   want me to burst in flames?
         [Yes] [No] >>Choose other component<<

That "server power management" circuit or software is drawing power
from the power supply, right? At that point it is quite pointless to
inquire if you get the right voltage, isn't it?

This seems to be a computer designed by programmers...

florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra