On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 05:04:25PM -0500, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Ok, I'm working with bash.  How do I send a text string between two
> jobs.  A book tells me something about named pipes, and I've checked out
> the man page for mknod, but both the book and the man page tell me
> little about what it's all about.  Anyone here do this before?

Try this:
   open a terminal
      $ cd /tmp
      $ mkfifo baz
      $ ls -l baz
      prw-rw-r-- 1 user group 0 Sep  7 17:46 baz
      $ cat baz
   now the terminal is blocked, waiting from input

   open a second terminal
      $ echo foo > /tmp/baz

   now you will see "foo" in the first terminal and both commands will
   complete

If you need to do it between two programs/jobs, just open(2) /tmp/baz for
reading in job #1 and for writing in job #2 and write(2) away.

Cheers,
florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra