I think Larry is right on target.

I'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy, but I analogize software
with a work of art.

If someone is talented enough to be able to paint like Rembrandt and copy
one of his works and sell it as an original; most would agree that there
is theft and deception involved.

If one were to reprint books by contemporary authors and resell them
without permission or licensing most would agree that too would be theft.

However when it comes to software many attitudes change about theft.
Whatever the intention stealing is stealing.

I believe many of us have this attitude because software is ubiquitous.
We all use it, almost all day.  Some of us even write little hacks or
snippets of code, therefore how difficult can it be to craft?

Because it is everywhere if I illegally use just a couple *little*
programs no one really gets hurt.  Larry shows us how that attitude can
cause real damage to people.

I'm not intending to moralize.  Just pointing out that no matter how much
we might rationalize our unlicensed use of some software.  It is still
theft and one needs to accept the consequences.

Mark.