I added the allow-query statement to the options section at the top of
named.conf and restarted DNS but no change. I also changed the
/ect/resolv.conf file, however; how do you keep dhcp from changing it when
it gets eth0 ip information from the dsl modem?

I'm pretty sure the firewall isn't blocking anything because I copied all
the same iptables rules from the Fedora Core 3 Bible and that set of rules
just sets up masquerade for the LAN, blocks everything from outside but web
and ftp, etc (which I didn't allow from outside), but all the traffic inside
the LAN is allowed. So anything at all should be able to pass between two
LAN ips.

(any more thoughts?)