Hi All,

I just reinstalled Fedora 5 (no GUI, and did a 206 MB yum update) on a box I
use with two NICs for my home network gateway and firewall. The eth0 NIC is
connected to a DSL modem and the eth1 NIC goes to a switch for the LAN. DHCP
is running the FC5 box for the LAN and seems to be working fine. I use
iptables for the firewall and I copied the same set of rules from the Fedora
3 Bible except for the TCP rules for allowing access to web and ftp stuff.
(I don't have anything running that needs to be accessed from outside.)

DNS, however, is not being very friendly. I can ping ip addresses but not
domains from a command line on an XP box inside the LAN. Email seems to be
coming and going somewhat OK. But websites won't come up in the browser. I'm
fairly certain the problem is my DNS setup. nslookup on the XP box returns
"can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1" I can't get the zone file
updates from the W2K3 domain controller which was working just fine before.
I sure I set up the named.conf and created the zone file for my domain just
like before. (I reinstalled in the first place because the linux box locked
up and wouldn't reboot for anything. Hardware problem, I expect.) I also had
the linux box looking first at its own DNS before going out to the web so I
could browse sites on my development server on the LAN. My LANs domain name
is not a registered name but exists just for me inside my LAN.

Can anyone offer some typical gotchas or often overlooked setup details that
I probably missed that would likely cause these symptoms? I've been reading
HOW-TOs for a week and I'm just burnt out it.           -- THANKS, John