On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 12:45:41PM -0500, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I have eight CentOS vmware servers on some win2003 boxes. The time and
> date on these servers always drifts, no matter what settings I apply. I
> finally stumbled across a way of keeping the time relatively close, by
> restarting ntp every 5 minutes. The restart makes the time sync up, but
> having the ntp service running alone does not work. Is there a fix for
> this?

Ask the ntp server what peers it is synchronizing with:

   $ ntpdc
   ntpdc> peers
        remote           local      st poll reach  delay   offset    disp

and check if that matches what you expect.  Is there at least one
external server in the list?  Is it reachable by ping from the CentOS
vmware instance?

florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra