I had a similar issue except that it would happen under both Windows and
Ubuntu.  I started suspecting the power supply and continued to unplug
devices like wireless cards until I couldn't go any further.  I then called
Dell and found out that my GX260 was known to have bad capacitors.  I was
able to identify them by the buldge.

24 hours later, I'm running Ubuntu without a hitch.