On Wednesday 04 October 2006 10:12, Thomas Johnson wrote:
> I'm testing a particular issue pertaining to SMTP for a client (the
> issue is irrelevant) and I have been sending huge amounts of mail
> between two SMTP hosts. The irritating thing that I am running into
> is that every time the servers receive a message to root I get a
> new mail notification on every root shell I have open to the
> system:
>
> New mail for root at slackware102 has arrived:
> ----
>
> This gets irritating in a big hurry when I fire off a script that
> generates 40000 messages and I'm trying to look at other things as
> root. I know there are ways to work around this (sending mail to
> another user, sudo, etc.), but I would prefer to just suppress the
> messages if possible. I tried googling this and didn't find
> anything useful, I'm not even sure what service is responsible for
> printing the messages.
>
> Cheers,

It's your shell that's generating the messages.  Depending on the
shell you may be able to disable it or just set the MAIL or MAILPATH
environment variables to something besides /var/mail/root or wherever
the mail is ending up on your system.  See the manpages for whichever
shell you're using for exact details.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel