On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:34:06AM -0600, Harv Nelson wrote:
> ibought  a little pcmcia card which is supposed to add four serial ports to
> my acer laptop.  I'm hoping to control a radio and a GPS   has anyone else
> set up such a gizmo successfully? I'm running debian "etch" on thiis thing
> if that matters.

What is the maker, model and revision number of the adapter?

> any real help, educated guesses, or even hair-brained ideas  accepted and
> appriciated.  (I am expeirencing high levels of frustration at the
> moment.:-).

What does "lspci -v" say after you plugged-in the adapter?  Do you
hear any beeps?

What do you get in the logs after you plug it in?  Try something like
this:

   - boot the machine, without the adapter
   - login as root
   - dmesg > /tmp/before
   - plug in the adapter
   - dmesg > /tmp/after
   - diff /tmp/before /tmp/after

Are you running the stock kernel?

florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra