On 11/18/06, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:

> /dev/sda3 is a LVM physical module, so you cannot mount it directly.
>
> Have you tried running "vgscan" first?  It should scan the disks and
> rebuild the device nodes.

I agree with Florin.  Once you run vgscan, you may need to activate the
volume group:

# vgscan
# vgchange -a y <volumegroup name>
# mount /dev/<VGname>/<lvolname> /mnt/dir

Then you should be able to access your filesystem(s).

For future reference, you might want to consider a layout such as this:

/dev/[hs]da1                       /boot                (primary partition)
/dev/[hs]da2                       swap                (primary partition)
/dev/[hs]da3                       /                       (primary
partition)
/dev/[hs]da4                       LVM                 (primary partition)

/dev/[hs]da4            Consists of the following:

/dev/vg00
/dev/vg00/lvol1            /usr
/dev/vg00/lvol2            /var
/dev/vg00/lvol3            /opt
/dev/vg00/lvol4            /tmp
/dev/vg00/lvol5            /home

A layout such as this allows you to mount your / partition via  a rescue CD
without having to perform all the vgscan/vgchange/etc steps mentioned
above.  Most times, you only need to access the / partition.  But, if you
need to access the others, then you can activate the VG.

Your /boot and / paritions are not going to change over the life of the
system, thus putting them and swap on primaries.  After that, allocate the
rest of your drive to LVM.

This is how I prefer to do my systems, and I haven't had an issue yet with
this configuration.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..