Eric Peterson wrote:
> yum grabs the variable 'distroverpkg' from /etc/yum.conf.

Thanks Eric.  I see that variable on a Red Hat 9 system.  Unfortunately,
'distroverpkg' does not appear in /etc/yum.conf on the Red Hat 7.3
system in question (which I'm beginning to suspect was imperfectly
upgraded from 7.2).

So I hard-coded a '7.3' in place of $releasever in /etc/yum.conf and
that seems to do the trick:

# yum check-update
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 base
Getting headers from: Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux 7.3
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers

<lots-of-stuff ...>

Now just I have to decide if I should risk breaking things.