On Nov 7 2006, Benjamin Gramlich wrote:

>Both of the PC magazines are really low level consumer titles. Most of
>what they feature are wish lists of new tech gear, but no in-depth
>discussions. A recent cover asks us if we are ready for Windows Vista.
>It seems as though the editors of these two magazines think that PC
>means Windows. There isn't even coverage of Macintosh computers let
>alone linux.

I second this view...although I do remember that PC Magazine issues in the
late 1980s and early 1990s did have some in-depth articles that were more
'geeky', including segments on DOS Debug assembly, and advanced batch
files. At that time it was a good introductory journal. I seem to recall it
getting a lot thinner (down to 1/4" thick from nearly 1 inch) in the mid
90s when the Internet started taking off, with the articles being more
low-level consumer centric.

>Wired is a business magazine with a strong eye towards the role
>technology plays in the economy. It's a magazine that is okay with it's
>place on the fringe of business commentary. In other words it's not
>trying to be like Forbes or Harvard Business Review. It has a niche
>audience, but continues to publish prescient articles that garner the
>attention of mainstream economists, CEOs, and investors. I highly
>recommend this one.
>
>Personally, though, I'd look to see if Scientific American, Scientific
>American Mind, and The Economist were part of your niece's magazine
>drive and get those.

I'd also look for Maximum PC (formerly Boot!) magazine. They include a
monthly CD with the issue as well.

-hk