This probably isn't quite the setup you need but we run Ubuntu here and
have configured our own in house Apt repository. Every night our update
script resyncs to our apt repo and pulls down new/upgraded packages. We
can roll out entire software packages with no problem.

We also built in a emergency feature that allows us to push out a change
sooner then the normal 4am update time. We build our own packages,
maintain our own apt server, and mirror the latest ubuntu dist site
every night.