the clients. If you're running all Windows 2000+ clients w/ Internet
Explorer on an Active Directory domain you can configure the proxy via
Group Policy. Or there are web proxy autodetection and configuration
methods, but those tend to be hit and miss.

Lastly you can configure Squid as a Transparent Proxy. Transparent
Proxys have various ups and downs. On the plus side, you don't have to
configure anything on the client. On the bad side, it's a good way to
freak out HTTP 1.0 clients. Most modern devices will do HTTP 1.1, but
you may run into an embedded device that will only do 1.0.

Obviously you have to know how to configure your firewall as well as
the proxy software. There is a HOWTO on tldp.org for configuring a
transparent proxy using iptables and squid. It works perfectly. I set
this up on my OpenWRT router and OS X machine running Squid this
weekend. So far I haven't noticed any problems and because I
configured a large cache in Squid I've noticed an improvment in web
browsing speed for my regular web hangouts. (My DSL is slow, but it's
cheap!)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue >0;